episode 63 part 1 season 1
Welcome back to Valerie’s Variety Podcast with your host me, Valerie Moss. This show is about ReViews, InterViews and my DailyViews, it’s a story podcast about my life in Calgary. WhatEVER | WhenEVER, this show drops every Tuesday.
Follow me On:
Episode 63 Part ONE
Todays show will be spread over several parts as I’m InterViewing Clare. C Marshall, Author of my latest read. The Sparkstone Sega a Young Adult Science Fiction series about superheroes fighting a secret alien invasion at a university in Alberta, Canada. This book has incredible artwork on the cover(s), wistfully details the school, the characters and the location connections like Macleod Hall. I was so enamoured with the writing I wanted her to be on my show! Here’s how this happened.
Last year I attended the Festival of Crafts, in Calgary Alberta, it runs around the middle of November each year at the Stampede Grounds. It’s a greatly inspiring show full of handmade everything including things like:
- Wood Working
- and more…
While we my gf Alison and I attended this market we bought something from almost everything on this list Jewellery – yes both bought earring and necklaces. Wine yes we bought a case and split it – this wine is so delicious it’s honey wine from Spirit Hills, right here in Calgary. I bought a spurtle, which is a wooden Scottish kitchen tool, dating from the fifteenth century, Spurtles are made from hand crafted wood, the one I chose for my dad was cherrywood. So he could mix his perogy dough with it.
Clare C. Marshall, the Author
We were trying the wine at a booth and then I see this lovely booth full of books and the covers of her books captured me. Faery Ink Press and Clare C. Marshall the author. I’m gravitated towards her books and her attractive booth displays and all of these book covers.
Stars in her Eyes, the Sparkstone Sega caught my eye, I love the book cover, It’s mysterious and colourful, the girls hair is red and sort of wavy down her shoulders (not like mine at all). I was intrigued, then I find out Clare is the author and from Calgary!
We bought letters on paper
So Alison and I make our way, right into the booth and get settled, she, Clare, has quite the spread of delightful paperbacks, and impressive book covers. She’s super outgoing and just wants to share all of her passion with us – she’s extremely magnetic. I buy the Sparkstone Sega and Alison buys the Violet Fox Series, both sets have 3 books in them. Clare, offered to sign our books for us, we agreed, left our paid for books and carried on our way throughout the show, stopped back and picked them up, all signed with delightful pens!
I start reading the Sparkstone Sega series and I love it..my favourite line, “Don’t Eat the Food”. Since Clare C. Marshall is a Calgary author I reached out to her and asked if she’d like to be on the show. She was In!
She arrives at my home, studio 17 and we settle in over a good book Sega – which of course is hers. In this InterView she’s funny and serious, and reads pages from her books. I could listen to her read all day, giving a great personal touch to each Character. I closed my eyes and listened as she read, it’s amazing, almost mesmerizing. We drank tea and talked through all my questions, thank you Clare C. Marshall.
Here’s part 1 of a 3 part series with Clare C. Marshall from Faery Ink Press, talking about The Sparkstone Sega, we focus mostly on book one to get you interested in reading along with me. Here’s my questions:
- What’s your background, tell me about the inspiration for your sparkstone series of books
- Tell me about Ingrid? Is she someone you know?
- Love all the Canadian references Calgary Alberta McLeod Trail. Where are You from?
- Clare, reads a passage….
- My favourite line “don’t eat the food”
- Such thought in the fact that even the doors can pin prick you to get your DNA ?
- Read a passage….
- Tell me about the characters their traits Who’s Sunni. Southern bell what’s her story Misty, Jia, Will Ethan
- The teachers Jadore her skin is so neat and her ‘blind’ crutch is such a good facade
- Where can people find you on social media?
- What’s next for you?
- What’s your favourite book. Author?
- Artwork, where does this creativeness come from?
Enjoy the episode.
insert episode here:
Visit My websites for all the links:
- The Festival of Crafts Show
- The Spirit Hills Winery
- Clare C. Marshall and her publishing company: FaeryInkPress: her socials: Facebook @FaeryInkPress, IG@FaeryInkPress her books, and her upcoming events. Her new weekly series called Wingtorn: a Young Adult Fantasy Serial Novel, Podcast – which I’m going to start listening to. You can read it or listen to her podcast, in this interView Clare gives us a reading from this new series also, she’s so good.
- and photos of the books and us enjoying letters on pages.
- Videos of her reading, seriously people she has a knack for this!
- Where to buy her books either E-read or PaperBack.
Part 2 will drop next Tuesday, as always…talk to you then!