My 17th wedding anniversary…anniversary is the date on which an event took place or an institution was founded in a previous year, and may also refer to the commemoration or celebration of that event. Plural Anniversaries…
1: the annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event
- a wedding anniversary; broadly : a date that follows such an event by a specified period of time measured in units other than years, 6-month anniversary of the accident – and of course to celebrate and anniversary.
Anniversary Gifts for Each Year
For each anniversary, there are certain types of gifts to give. Everybody knows that the Silver anniversary is the 25th and the gold anniversary the 50th. But how about all the ones in between because each one matters…
The historic origins of wedding anniversaries date back to the Holy Roman Empire, when husbands crowned their wives with a silver wreath on their twenty-fifth anniversary, and a gold wreath on the fiftieth. Later, principally in the twentieth century, commercialism led to the addition of more anniversaries being represented by a named gift.
In Canada, one can also receive a message from the Governor-General for the 50th anniversary, and every fifth anniversary after that. Let’s do the math on this, if I’m 41 years old, and I’ve been married for 17 years, to be married for 50 years I’d need to be…okay let’s not complete this equation.
The names of some anniversaries provide guidance for appropriate or traditional gifts for the spouses to give each other; if there is a party these can be brought by the guests or influence the theme or decoration. These gifts vary in different countries, but some years have well-established connections now common to most nations: 5th Wood, 10th Tin, 15th Crystal, 20th China, 25th Silver, 30th Pearl, 35th Jade, 40th Ruby, 45th Sapphire, 50th Gold, 60th Diamond, and 70th Platinum. In English speaking countries the first, wooden, gift was cut on the day of celebration and then presented to the wife as a finished article before the next two quarter days had passed. This means the 4 significant dates throughout the year things like school starting, rent being due etc. The modern tradition may have originated in medieval Germany where, if a married couple lived to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their wedding, the wife was presented by her friends and neighbours with a silver wreath to congratulate them for the good fortune that had prolonged the lives of the couple for so many years.
Gemstones and Meanings around the 17th
Carnelian – Carnelian (also spelled and referred to as cornelian) is a brownish-red mineral which is commonly used as a semi-precious gemstone.
It is said that this stone is an energy booster, can protect one from bad vibrations, helps a person that’s insecure to find strength within them, can guard against poverty, also help give a sense of humor, increase ones appetite and calms temper.This gemstone was widely used during Roman times to make engraved gems for signet or seal rings.
since we are focussing on my favourite number 17 and my 17th anniversary the colour that best represents this special year is yellow..Yellow identifies with acquired learning. It is the colour which reverberates with the left or rational side of the brain. This colour animates our intellectual capacities and making mental deftness and recognition. It is the the lightest shade in the spectrum. From a physiological standpoint yellow is elevating and enlightening. This colour also offers trust, joy, happiness and fun. In the significance of colours, yellow motivates unique thought and curiosity. Yellow is innovative from a mental perspective. The colour of new thoughts which helps us to discover better approaches for getting things done. It is the useful mastermind, not the visionary. Some other years that caught my eye based on colour alone are 4th year is lime green, 14th year is opal (who uses this word anymore), 20th is emerald green and white (why not peach), 24 is lavender (can’t you just smell this when the word is mentioned) and 35 is coral…that pinkish – salmon shade.
The number 17 means:
Insight, responsibility, self-discipline, strength, compassion, spiritual consciousness, wisdom, a desire for peace and love for all of humanity. The number 17 is a highly spiritual number and has been expressed by the Ancient Chaldeans as the 8 Pointed Star of Venus. Have you ever wondered what connection you might have with a number? Can numbers really have a mystical and spiritual meaning? I believe so, there are many numbers that govern our life for example the number 17 has meanings that may have certain connection and characteristics with our life path. Sometimes numbers like number 17 show up in our life and we may not know the meaning of it. The number 17 is responsible for, Insight, responsibility, self-discipline, strength, compassion, spiritual consciousness, and wisdom, a desire for peace and love for all of humanity. the 17 person is very capable and hardworking and efficient. They have great leadership qualities and very much compassionate. They treat everyone equally whether they are rich or poor.
one of my family members is celebrating her 17th year…she’s a feline, tabby with the name…evolved overtime, from Lil Tig, to Tiggy to just plain Tig, it’s my furry household friend. She has to be heard and not seen, leaves tuffs of fur in little gift piles along the house, greets me when i come home at the end of the day and sleeps with me each night…yes Tig you too are 17 this year. the age of my domestic house cat…we’ve had her this entire time also, we consider her our first family member did you know this equates to 84 human years.
17 Fun Facts:
- is a Fermat prime.
- The teenage Gauss proved that the regular 17-gon is constructible by compass and straightedge (which is related to the previous bullet).
- There are 17 wallpaper groups.
- A haiku has 17 syllabes.
- A Sudoku needs at least 17 clues to have a unique solution.
- is the first one that Theodorus was unable to show was irrational.)
- According to hacker lore, 17 is the “least (or most) random number.”
- To the nearest order of magnitude, the universe is seconds old (approximately seconds).
- It is the smallest number that is the sum of two distinct positive integers raised to the fourth power:
- It is the smallest number that can be written as the sum of a square and a cube in two different ways
- Some cicadas have a 17-year life cycle. these are little insects that live 99% of their life underground for 17 years to emerge on one single night in the billions, propoulate for a few weeks, then fall back into earth
- There are 17 ways to write 17 as the sum of primes.
- The Italians think 17 is unlucky (apparently because XVII can be rearranged to be VIXI, which means “my life is over”).
- Plutarch wrote “The Pythagoreans also have a horror for the number 17, for 17 lies exactly halfway between 16, which is a square, and the number 18, which is the double of a square, these two, 16 and 18, being the only two numbers representing areas for which the perimeter equals the area.”
- heptadecagon is a 17-sided figure
- 17 is the smallest whole number whose reciprocal contains all ten digits:
- You need 17 muscles to make a smile
17 reasons I’m still married today:
- Jeff still gets me
- I proposed
- camping in our trailer
- our daughter
- food: eat, make, buy, explore
- laughs about the smallest things in life
- I call him Turk
- writting love letters on mirrors
- I love that he’s a serious car guy
- I’m passionate on a big scale
- nostalgic: reflection, having a kinship with many memories
- love the beauty in things, clouds, songs, driving
- I’m smart
- iniside jokes, family sayings like we call Apple Fritter donuts, Knarles Barkley and we have a jingle that goes with it
- the 3 of us make all the difference – our UNIT
- how important hearts truly are in the body, you are only your heart and your mind
- I wish for 17 more years with Jeff
Thanks for listening to the podcast and todays reflection of my 17th wedding anniversary, the history behind the number 17 my personal favourite number and the meaning and gem that goes with this and a glimpse into my story. Also there’s only 17 weeks until Christmas.
Tell me your story.
Let me know what you think by leaving me a comment/rating on iTunes, stitcher, google play, blubrry and tuneIn radio or wherever you get your podcasts.
research for this show came from these articles
17 fun facts https://divisbyzero.com/2017/04/14/seventeen-facts-about-17/
The intro and outro for this podcast is recorded by London Moss. The music for this show is written and produced by Jason Schnell, title Tascam 40. Thanks to Jeff Moss for being the voice of the Judge.
The podcast is written and produced by me Valerie Moss, through Garage Band and WordPress.